top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

I need a new boiler. Which one should I get?

If you need a new boiler, the one that will be best for your requirements will depend on many factors including the type and size of your property, what fuel type you are using, the type of boiler system in use (combi, regular, etc.), the location of the boiler and the flue positioning. We will happily help assess your needs in order to recommend a suitable boiler for you and we can also supply and install it for you as well. 

Do I need a Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate?

If you rent out a property to tenants, you are responsible for ensuring all gas appliances are checked every 12 months and that they are kept in good working order. We can inspect your gas meter, pipework as well as any selected appliances and issue you a certificate so long as everything conforms. Once issued with a certficate, it must be kept for 2 years. If defects are found, we can provide advice and services to help put things right.

You can find out more information about Landlords Gas Safety Certificates here.

What is Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is the only official gas registration body of gas businesses and engineers covering the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey. All gas businesses operating in these locations must be on the Gas Safe Register by law. A gas engineer can only be issued with a license to undertake gas work on behalf of a registered business if they have a valid and current qualification that has been gained through a recognised training and assessment route. All Gas Safe registered engineers carry a Gas Safe ID card with a unique licence number which you can ask to see at any time.

What should I do if I smell gas?

If you smell gas, you should contact the National Grid on 0800 111 999 and report your concerns immediately. Their safety and emergency line is available 24 hours a day.

You should also:

  • Extinguish any flames and refrain from smoking or igniting lighters/matches

  • Leave all switches alone

  • Turn off the gas at the meter

  • Ventilate the area by opening doors and windows

  • Remove all persons from the area.

Where is my water stopcock located?

In most domestic properties, the stopcock is located under the kitchen sink although they can be situated in other places such as bathrooms, under the stairs or in larders. To turn off the stopcock and isolate the water supply, simply turn the valve clockwise. In some properties, there may also be a stopcock outside which is usually housed under a metal plate with the word 'water' or even just a 'W' on it.

bottom of page